North Carolina GOP Congresswoman Virginia Foxx has apparently launched a competition with Minnesota GOP Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann to see who can lie more. Here is Rep. Foxx’s latest entry, which I think beats Rep. Bachmann’s entry where she blamed the Great Depression on FDR. Yes, what Rep. Foxx said is a BIGGER lie than that.
If you want to call Rep. Foxx to complain of this outrageous lie which desecrates the life and memory of Matthew Shepard, here are Foxx’s telephone numbers:
- Washington, DC: (202) 225-2071
- Clemmons, NC: (336) 778-0211
- Boone, NC: (828) 265-0240
Or you can write a letter to the editor of the Winston-Salem Journal, which is the largest newspaper in Foxx’s district. Email your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Just follow these guidelines:
- Letters should be no more than 250 words.
- A phone number and complete mailing address must be included so the paper can verify that a letter is, in fact, from the stated author. Only the writer’s name and city will be published.
- You can also submit a letter using this form.
More importantly, you can contact your U.S. Senator to ask them to vote to pass the Matthew Shepard Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Protection Act (S.909). It’s passed the House already, despite the objections of Rep. Foxx and her fellow Republicans. If it passes the Senate, President Obama has promised his signature on the bill. In a previous Congress, both the House and the Senate passed this legislation, but President Bush refused to sign it into law.
To understand why this is important, watch this video of Judy Shepard talking about her son Matthew.